Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Diversifying Your Online Portfolio?

A great many of us are in online businesses.  The thought occurred to me about having an online portfolio.  What is the truth in that?  What are the myths?  One reason I am writing this blog entry now is that I am very upset with people who talk others in and out of things.  The other thing I get upset over is someone pushing another around.  I guess that can fall into the category of manipulation.  Being a part of it is being an enabler and being in denial.  We need to be true to ourselves to the real TRUTH.

Just a little background...  (the founder of Motivational Radio), Anthony and I are working  on something very dear to both of us at the moment.  I just need to take the time to vent and get back to my creative bent.  Since, I am a bit vexed a the moment, I am taking a necessary time out to explain to those who will listen to the voice of reason.


 Let me start with the truth.  Yes, we do need a portfolio.  However, more than 2 businesses in our signature line on skype or anywhere, just shows others one is NOT making money, or you're desperate to make it.   This information came from not one but 2 reliable sources, I trust.  One my mentor and friend, Anthony Hosking, who is the host of Motivational-Radio.com  an online radio station, based out of Christchurch, NZ.

Christchurch, you may or may not know sustained a year's worth of earthquakes some averaging most days last year were, 5.8ers on the Richter scale.  They still have not ceased.  While Anthony's focus is on the radio station and it's success, he has the earthquakes to contend with.  If that weren't bad enough, he also is approached daily by many who would like to see him get involved in another online business.   Ahem! Excuse me while I clear my throat.  


Now neither of these things will sway, my mentor.  He sticks to his guns.  I am going to do the same.  As far as myth, you cannot carry all your eggs in one basket.  I have  a question for you?  How many hands do you have to carry baskets?  I will answer that for you.  You have 2 hands to carry, two baskets. If you carry many more than that, the eggs will break;  Two are a risk, already. Even one, since if you dash your foot on a stone and fall the eggs will break.  Well, look at it this way:  with 2 baskets you have twice the risk.  However, in business we are risk takers but we are not ridiculous.

Another thing, remember there needs to be balance of some kind in order to have complete success. Without balance, (qualify that keyword, hold in in your heart and engrave it) things are in complete chaos.


Think very carefully when it comes to someone telling you about online portfolios.  You are not a character out of Startrek Voyager, a 'Borg' with a computer you were born with, on one of your body parts and part of a  'Collective'.  Are you going to be a leader or a follower?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home