Friday, March 7, 2008

"What 'Legacy' will you leave for the world?"

I was married only after a couple of years when I met up with my step son. We chatted at a gathering together in my 2 bedroom apartment, in the somewhat spacious living room. Out of the blue, without much emotion, Sean asked me "what legacy are you going to leave to the world?" It was a profound and thought provoking thought, that now, even after a decade and half I still wake up every day; the question he asked me, slaps me in the face at some point every day I live. It is a very serious thing and everyone at some point in their life needs to ponder what they are going to leave the world after taking so much from it. I don't think we can ever do enough for our fellow human beings, the environment and many, many other issues where small things can make a big difference and change the world in great way.

I have wanted to do many things and have already but I am getting older and physically cannot do the things I could do when I was younger. I don't have stamina for physical work, but being a generous type of person which is valiant, honorable and virtuous. Whether or not it is altruistic or what the motive is for people to go out of their way to help someone they never met. It is hard to determine one's true motive. One would hope, --- just because. I want to think that I have been able to put myself in another person's shoes. An old native American Indian saying, “Before I judge a man, let me first walk a mile in his. mocassins.”. Being a 'nonjudgmental' person is when we can look at another fellow human being and have unconditional love for another. So the younger you are the more important it is for you to ponder the question of "what legacy you will leave to the world?" An act of kindness be someone expecting nothing in return. What a blessing for the intended receiver; They say, It is more blessed to give than to receive. Although it is very nice to receive from someone, scientific studies have shown that when an act of kindness is performed by someone .towards another endorphins are released in a chemical reaction in the brain. As we all know and heard endorphins are ‘happy’ hormones and make one feel good. So there is a feeling of well being.. Well, in short. if everyone on the planet did an act of kindness towards another, every day, what a world that world would be and not that as it is. From the words of a grade school child: what legacy are you going to leave for the world?. it is amazing how haunting those words are and they motivate me every day to try to do something; Even a little thing that might make a difference in the life of another. We can all do it. God Bless you. Thank you for Reading. Peace.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At March 12, 2008 at 8:03 PM , Blogger Dorothy Lanman said...

Adrian it seems you have a bit heart and reaching out not only blesses us but often others far more than we will ever know. Keep up the great attitude.

To YOu Success,

 
At March 15, 2008 at 9:24 AM , Blogger Marilyn Swanson said...

Thank you for the refresher on keeping those endorphins flowing. With the increase in the "me first" attitiude out there, we need keep always in mind to treat others like we would want to be treated. Each of us can do our part in contributing to the "big picture. Indeed, if we all as a global family acted with kindness toward one another, the world would be a beautiful and gentle place to be.

 
At March 15, 2008 at 6:33 PM , Blogger Wavecritter said...

"I don't think we can ever do enough for our fellow human beings, the environment and many, many other issues where small things can make a big difference and change the world in great way." This is as beautiful as your talents as a writer! Thank you :)

 
At March 15, 2008 at 8:04 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Great Attitude Girl. My lifelong belief is that Everybody Came Here with Something... We all have a God-Given talent that is inherent and cannot be taken away. I believe that if we all developed the skills and talents that we came here with -- we would all be Happy and Successful.

Miss Julia

 
At March 15, 2008 at 10:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also believe that we all can to this planet with a purpose.
“Before I judge a man, let me first walk a mile in his. mocassins.” Love the quote and if we did this could be a better world.
Bless you

 
At March 16, 2008 at 8:35 PM , Blogger John Raines said...

your words make us think. take a good look at ourselves much like when you were asked about legacy i sense you being you is legacy itself

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home